"Local language" in Korea

This forum is for non-Russian-speaking users of our website. You can write here in any language.
Ответить
Gamerdgl

Сообщение Gamerdgl » 22 ноя 2021, 02:46

This is not an issue with the website, rather a comment to let people know my reasoning

In Korea, there is an officially adopted northern and southern way of transliterating words https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCune%E2%80%93Reischauer
So there are usually three ways to write a word, the Korean Alphabet, Hanja, and latin letters. Therefore I will try to put all three in the 'local name' field of the cities, with the correct standard. And it can be up to the users of a specific language to decide if they want a different spelling for their language. For example, "Pyongyang" is universally known in English rather than "Phyŏngyang" and having two separate fields will help facilitate record keeping (even if on a few occasions they look the same). This is not the same thing as double entering the name.

Similarly, there is a system to change the names into cyrillic, but it does not seem to be officially adopted by either Korean government, so it can be used for Russian/Ukranian/Belorussian, and not the local language field.
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0 ... 1%87%D0%B0

For more local uses like a bus stop depot name, route terminus, I will only use the korean alphabet for the local language.

Michal Isakov
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Michal Isakov » 22 ноя 2021, 15:00

Some correction related to Korea - at least at Daegu was used "xxx автомобильный офис" for depot. It sounds strange in Russian like some car company office building. Please use "Депо ххх" instead. Thanks.

Gamerdgl

Сообщение Gamerdgl » 22 ноя 2021, 19:40

Michal Isakov пишет:
22 ноя 2021, 15:00
Some correction related to Korea - at least at Daegu was used "xxx автомобильный офис" for depot. It sounds strange in Russian like some car company office building. Please use "Депо ххх" instead. Thanks.
Thank you for letting me know, translate is only so good. I changed every occurence to depo, so it should be fixed.

Ответить