Slope car

This forum is for non-Russian-speaking users of our website. You can write here in any language.
Ответить
Gamerdgl

Сообщение Gamerdgl » 29 авг 2022, 02:10

Slope car
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slope_car

Inclined elevator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclined_elevator

Specific to Japan and Korea are these slope cars that are almost always called monorails by the general media and public (the page discusses the ambiguity). Anyhow, it seems clear based on the existing database that "inclined elevator" systems are classified as funiculars on this website, despite being distinct. What about slope cars? The main difference is that they can travel at different slopes, the cars are not at a fixed angle, and they often have turns in the trackway. It is on a single rail using a rack railway gear system.

A while ago I had been adding dozens of "monorail" systems in South Korea, but I want to know precisely how to classify these different types, and if my previous understanding that inclined elevator = funicular on this website is correct. For the record, I think monorail is a bad term because it encompasses tiny bicycle railways as well as AGT style tyre trains which I think have more to do with AGTs..

Gamerdgl

Сообщение Gamerdgl » 29 авг 2022, 02:31

There are also these tourist monorail systems:

https://youtu.be/0dbR3mfzFIs

They are distinguished from slope cars in that they are often unenclosed, and the vehicle stays parallel with the track, so from the rider's perspective it is very uneven (slope cars are always flat with the ground from the rider's perspective, and they change angle relative to the track in order to maintain a stable ride)

Michal Isakov
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Michal Isakov » 29 авг 2022, 13:26

In terms of our website, funicular is cable railway where vehicles are powered externally, that's why inclined elevator fits here.
Monorail is one-rail technology with vehicles powered on their own. While ATG definition is quite uncertain.

Gamerdgl

Сообщение Gamerdgl » 30 авг 2022, 02:05

OK, thanks. So slope cars are indeed monorails then for the purposes of classification.

Then the only question left is what is the difference between a monorail system that should be on the website and one that shouldn't be. The vehicles are often non standard, some hardly classify as public transportation, or the tourist monorails as there are in South Korea. They vary widely. As I said before, the tourist monorails especially are different because they are open (some trams are, to be fair), but the level of the vehicle changes with the rail and so it is more like a theme park ride, even with handles on some, rather than public transportation of all the other types where the rider is always level with the ground.

Ответить